Human Services Reauthorization Act of 1986
* * * * * * *
Title VI—CHILD DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE SCHOLARSHIP ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
SEC. 601. [42 U.S.C. 10900 note] SHORT TITLE.
This title may be cited as the “Child Development Associate Scholarship Assistance Act of 1985”.
SEC. 602. [42 U.S.C. 10901] GRANTS AUTHORIZED.
The Secretary is authorized to make a grant for any fiscal year to any State receiving a grant under title XX of the Social Security Act for such fiscal year to enable such State to award scholarships to eligible individuals within the State who are candidates for the Child Development Associate credential.
SEC. 603. [42 U.S.C. 10902] APPLICATIONS.
(a) Application Required.—A State desiring to participate in the grant program established by this title shall submit an application to the Secretary in such form as the Secretary may require.
(b) Contents of Applications.—A State’s application shall contain appropriate assurances that—
(1) scholarship assistance made available with funds provided under this title will be awarded—
(A) only to eligible individuals;
(B) on the basis of the financial need of such individuals; and
(C) in amounts sufficient to cover the cost of application, assessment, and credentialing (including, at the option of the State, any training necessary for credentialing) for the Child Development Associate credential for such individuals;
(2) not more than 35 percent of the funds received under this title by a State may be used to provide scholarship assistance under paragraph (1) to cover the cost of training described in paragraph (1)(C); and
(3) not more than 10 percent of the funds received by the State under this title will be used for the costs of administering the program established in such State to award such assistance.
(c) Equitable Distribution.—In making grants under this title, the Secretary shall—
(1) distribute such grants equitably among States; and
(2) ensure that the needs of rural and urban areas are appropriately addressed.
SEC. 604. [42 U.S.C. 10903] DEFINITIONS.
For purposes of this title—
(1) the term “eligible individual” means a candidate for the Child Development Associate credential whose income does not exceed the 130 percent of the lower living standard income level, by more than 50 percent;
(2) the term “lower living standard income level” means that income level (adjusted for regional, metropolitan, urban, and rural differences and family size) determined annually by the Secretary of Labor and based on the most recent lower living family budget issued by the Secretary of Labor;
(3) the term “Secretary” means the Secretary of Health and Human Services; and
(4) the term “State” means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and Palau.
SEC. 605. [42 U.S.C. 10904] ADMINISTRATIVE PROVISIONS.
(a) Reporting.—Each State receiving grants under this title shall annually submit to the Secretary information on the number of eligible individuals assisted under the grant program, and their positions and salaries before and after receiving the Child Development Associate credential.
(b) Payments.—Payments pursuant to grants made under this title may be made in installments, and in advance or by way of reimbursement, with necessary adjustments on account of overpayments or underpayments, as the Secretary may determine.
SEC. 606. [42 U.S.C. 10905] AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this title such sums as may be necessary for fiscal year 1995.
* * * * * * *
[Internal Reference.—SSAct Title XX heading has a footnote referring to P.L. 99-425.]