PURPOSES OF SUBTITLE; AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS
Subtitle A—Block Grants to States for Social Services
Sec. 2001. [42 U.S.C. 1397] For the purposes of consolidating Federal assistance to States for social services into a single grant, increasing State flexibility in using social service grants, and encouraging each State, as far as practicable under the conditions in that State, to furnish services directed at the goals of—
(1) achieving or maintaining economic self-support to prevent, reduce, or eliminate dependency;
(2) achieving or maintaining self-sufficiency, including reduction or prevention of dependency;
(3) preventing or remedying neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children and adults unable to protect their own interests, or preserving, rehabilitating or reuniting families;
(4) preventing or reducing inappropriate institutional care by providing for community-based care, home-based care, or other forms of less intensive care; and
(5) securing referral or admission for institutional care when other forms of care are not appropriate, or providing services to individuals in institutions,
there are authorized to be appropriated for each fiscal year such sums as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this subtitle.
 P.L. 111-148, §6703(a)(1)(B), inserted “Subtitle A-Block Grants to States for Social Services”, effective March 23, 2010.
 P.L. 111-148, §6703(d)(1)(A), struck out “Title” and inserted “Subtitle”, effective March 23, 2010.
 P.L. 111-148, §6703(d)(1)(B), struck out “this title” and inserted “this subtitle”, effective March 23, 2010.