Medicare enrollment using our online application
It’s convenient, quick and easy. There’s no need to drive to a local Social Security office or wait for an appointment with a Social Security representative.
Use our online application to sign up for Medicare. It takes less than 10 minutes. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if we need more information. Otherwise you’ll receive your Medicare card in the mail.
Medicare is managed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Social Security works with CMS by enrolling people in Medicare.
For more information about applying for Medicare only and delaying retirement benefits, visit Applying for Medicare Only – Before You Decide.
Apply for Medicare Only Use the online application to apply for just Medicare.
Return to a Saved Application Finish an application you already started.
Check Application Status Check the status of an application you submitted.
If you already have Medicare Part A and wish to sign up for Medicare Part B, please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.
Questions about our online application
You can use our online Medicare application if you:
- Are at least 64 years and 9 months old;
- Want to sign up for Medicare but do not currently have ANY Medicare coverage;
- Do not want to start receiving Social Security benefits at this time; and
- Are not currently receiving Social Security retirement, disability or survivors benefits.
You should sign up for Medicare three months before reaching age 65, even if you plan to delay receiving retirement benefits because you are working. Otherwise, your Medicare medical insurance, as well as prescription drug coverage, could be delayed, and you could be charged higher premiums.
You can sign up for Medicare even if you are not ready to start receiving retirement benefits. You can opt out of receiving cash retirement benefits now once you are in the online application. Then you can apply online for retirement benefits later.
Using the online Medicare application has a number of benefits. You can:
- Avoid trips to your Social Security Office, saving you time and money.
- Answer questions at your convenience by starting and stopping the application without fear of losing any information you entered.
- Make corrections to the application prior to submission.
- Submit your application electronically. There is no need to mail in your application. When you are finished, just select “Submit Now” to send your application to Social Security.
- Receive a receipt online for your application that you can print and keep for your records.
- Check the status of your application online. You will receive a confirmation number once you submit your application.
Once we receive your application, we will
- Review your application and contact you if we need more information or if we need to see your documents;
- Process your application once we have all of the necessary information and documents; and
- Mail you a decision letter.
You can also apply:
- By phone - Call us at 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
- In person - Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)
If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territories you can also contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.
If you have a Health Savings Account (HSA) and/or health insurance based on employment, you may want to ask your personnel office or insurance company how signing up for Medicare will affect you.
To find out what documents and information you need to apply, go to the Checklist for the Online Medicare, Retirement, and Spouses Application.