§ 404.381. Who is entitled to special age 72 payments?

You are entitled to a special age 72 payment if—

(a) You have attained the age of 72; and

(1) You attained such age before 1968; or

(2) You attained such age after 1967—or, for applications filed after November 5, 1990, you attained age 72 after 1967 and before 1972—and have at least 3 quarters of coverage for each calendar year elapsing after 1966 and before the year in which you attained age 72 (see subpart B for a description of quarters of coverage);

(b) You reside in one of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands;

(c) You apply; and

(d) You are a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands; or you are an alien who was legally admitted for permanent residence in the United States and who has resided here continuously for 5 years. Residence in the United States includes residence in the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

[44 FR 34481, June 15, 1979, as amended at 57 FR 21598, May 21, 1992]