§ 404.1282. Time limitations on credits or refunds—for wages paid prior to 1987.

(a) General. To get a credit or refund, a State must file a claim for a credit or refund of the overpaid amount with the Commissioner before the applicable time limitation expires. The State's claim for credit or refund is considered filed with the Commissioner when it is delivered or mailed to the Commissioner. Where the time limitation ends on a weekend, legal holiday or Federal nonworkday, we consider a claim timely filed if it is filed on the next Federal workday.

(b) Time limitation. Subject to the exceptions in § 404.1283, a State must file a claim for credit or refund of an overpayment before the end of the latest of the following time periods:

(1) 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days after the year in which the wages in question were paid or alleged to have been paid; or

(2) 3 years after the due date of the payment which included the overpayment; or

(3) 2 years after the overpayment was made to the Secretary of the Treasury.

[53 FR 32976, Aug. 29, 1988, as amended at 62 FR 38451, July 18, 1997]