§ 405.505. Extension of time to file a civil action.

If you have received our final decision, you may request that we extend the time for seeking judicial review in a Federal district court. Your request must be in writing and explain why the action was not filed, or cannot be filed, on time. You must file your request with the Appeals Council. If you show that you have good cause for missing the deadline, we will extend the time period. We will use the standards in § 405.20 of this part to determine if you have good cause for an extension of time.

[71 FR 16446, Mar. 31, 2006, as amended at 76 FR 24810, May 3, 2011]