SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home1336. Are interns in the U.S. during World War II granted wage credits?

You are granted wage credits if you were interned at a camp in the U.S. during World War II, if you are of Japanese ancestry. Wage credits are granted for each week that you were 18 or older. The credit for each of these weeks is the greater of:

  1. The highest hourly rate of pay for which you previously worked in any employment multiplied by 40; or

  2. The Federal minimum hourly rate in effect during that time. The minimum wage rate during 1941-1944 was 30 cents per hour, and during 1945-1946, 40 cents per hour. If you were not employed or were self-employed before internment, the amount of wages credited are based on the Federal minimum hourly rate in effect for that period.

Note: You will not receive these credits if a larger benefit would be payable without them; or if you are receiving a monthly benefit from another Federal agency based on the same internment.