Sec707[42 U.S.C. 908] (a) There is authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1969, and $5,000,000 for each of the three succeeding fiscal years, for grants by the Secretary to public or nonprofit private colleges and universities and to accredited graduate schools of social work or an association of such schools to meet part of the costs of development, expansion, or improvement of (respectively) undergraduate programs in social work and programs for the graduate training of professional social work personnel, including the costs of compensation of additional faculty and administrative personnel and minor improvements of existing facilities. Not less than one-half of the sums appropriated for any fiscal year under the authority of this subsection shall be used by the Secretary for grants with respect to undergraduate programs.

(b) In considering applications for grants under this section, the Secretary shall take into account the relative need in the States for personnel trained in social work and the effect of the grants thereon.

(c) Payment of grants under this section may be made (after necessary adjustments on account of previously made overpayments or underpayments) in advance or by way of reimbursement, and on such terms and conditions and in such installments, as the Secretary may determine.

(d) For purposes of this section—

(1) the term “graduate school of social work” means a department, school, division, or other administrative unit, in a public or nonprofit private college or university, which provides, primarily or exclusively, a program of education in social work and allied subjects leading to a graduate degree in social work;

(2) the term “accredited” as applied to a graduate school of social work refers to a school which is accredited by a body or bodies approved for the purpose by the Commissioner of Education or with respect to which there is evidence satisfactory to the Secretary that it will be so accredited within a reasonable time; and

(3) the term “nonprofit” as applied to any college or university refers to a college or university which is a corporation or association, or is owned and operated by one or more corporations or associations, no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.