Direct Public Service
Most positions at Social Security involve working directly with the public, with thousands of positions open now throughout the country. We will provide you the training and mentoring you need, including about Social Security programs and policies, to be successful. Below are some examples of these positions and what they do. Then see where we are hiring near you!
Examples of Positions Include:
Claims Specialists speak with people who receive or applying for Social Security benefits. Watch what Claims Specialists in the Program Service Centers do!
- Interview people applying for benefits.
- Review evidence and determine if someone eligible for benefits.
Customer Service Representatives gather facts and evidence to see if someone is eligible for benefits. Watch what Customer Service Representatives do! Watch what Customer Service Teleservice Representatives do!
- Help the public by answering a wide variety of questions both in person and via telephone.
- Conduct interviews, investigate situations, and resolve issues.
- Review information to determine ongoing eligibility for Social Security benefits.
- Analyze a claimant's benefit payment history.
Benefit Authorizers make critical decisions to determine benefit amounts to individuals and use state-of-the art technology to access and update claims. Watch what Benefits Authorizers do!
- Prepare, verify, and maintain our records of people receiving benefits.
- Work with the public by telephone or mail regarding benefit and payment amounts.
- Carefully review information to determine benefits.
- Solve problems through use of Social Security policies and regulations. Remember we train you!