Social Security Card

To protect the integrity of the Social Security number and prevent fraud, we discontinued providing Social Security number printouts effective August 1, 2014. If you need proof of your Social Security number and you do not have your Social Security card, you will need to request a replacement Social Security card by completing the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and providing the required documentation.

Individuals need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. But they don't often need to show their Social Security card. Individuals should not carry their card with them. Keep it in a safe place with their other important papers.

Social Security records are confidential and SSA employees are responsible for safeguarding the confidentiality of its records.

How to apply for a Social Security number and card:

  • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5) ; and
  • Show us original documents or certified copies (certified by the issuing agency) proving:
    1. o U.S. citizenship
      o Age; and
      o Identity.

Then, take or mail the completed application and documents to the local Social Security office - Chicago Region offices listed under state resources.

Newborn Babies

  • Apply at the hospital
  • The state agency will share the baby’s information with us. The card will arrive in the parent’s mail.
  • If claimant waits and does not file at the hospital they must have the birth certificate when applying at the local office


  • File an application in person at the local SSA Office
  • Bring original documents or certified copies proving: US Citizenship, Age, and Identity

Replacement Card

  • Complete an Application
  • Provide documents proving identity such as a current driver’s license, a current state ID, or a current passport, and
  • Provide documents proving the U.S. citizenship (unless already shown in our records). Some tribal IDs can be used for identification purposes, but check with the local office

Original Documents Needed


We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.


If you have or can obtain a U.S.-State-Issued birth certificate that recorded your birth before age 5, you must submit it. If not, we can consider other documents, such as your passport, to prove your age.


We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

  • Current U.S. driver’s license;
  • Current State-issued nondriver identification card; or
  • Current U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

  • Employee ID card;
  • School ID card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
  • U.S. military ID card
  • Tribal ID for which SSA has established a precedent regarding its use.


We may use one document for two purposes, but not for all three. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity, but not for age. A separate document would be required as proof of age. You must provide at least two separate documents.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

We will mail your number and card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents with the issuing offices.

Social Security Card Center Information

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you live or receive mail in Greater Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, Minn., you must apply in-person or by mail to a Social Security Card Center for an original or replacement Social Security card.

Greater Twin Cities Metropolitan Area Social Security Card Center

Serving Anoka County, Carver County, Chisago County, Dakota County, Hennepin County, Isanti County, Ramsey County, Scott County, and Washington County.

Office Address:
      1811 Chicago Ave
      Suite 2
      Minneapolis, MN 55404-1998
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
      Except Federal Holidays

General Directions: Located 5 blocks South of the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome. Two blocks North of Franklin Avenue on Chicago Avenue. The office is on the #5 bus line. The #5 bus stops at the corner of 18th and Chicago in both North and South directions.


Q and A

Q. What can I do to help someone who has no ID?

A. We can occasionally use other documents to prove identity. These documents must be original or certified copies created within the last two years. We suggest gathering as many documents as possible such as tribal ID cards, health insurance cards, medical records, legal papers, and school records to present as proof of identification. SSA will determine if the documents are acceptable.

Q. How can I tell if my client’s document is a certified copy

A. Legal documents such as birth certificates, court orders, marriage certificates and divorce decrees must be certified. You can tell that a document is certified if you can feel a raised seal on it. It will also have a stamp that begins ―I hereby certify….‖ We must see certified copies of all legal documents. We do not accept notarized documents.

Q. May clients use their birth certificate as ID?

A. A birth certificate may never be used as identification. However, it is acceptable to establish citizenship.

Q. May clients use a photocopy of their driver’s license to get a replacement Social Security card?

A. No. Social Security will not accept a photocopy of any document.

Q. I’ve heard a lot about identity theft, what can you tell me about that?

A. Sometimes more than one person might use the same Social Security number—either on purpose or by accident. Social Security does not require people to report a lost or stolen card. Reporting a lost or stolen card to us will not prevent its misuse. However, a person using someone’s card or number can get other personal information about that person and apply for credit in their name. So if you suspect someone is using another’s SSN, take these steps to guard against identity theft:

• File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission;

• Check Social Security records (call toll-free 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1-800-325-0778) to ensure that income is calculated correctly;

• Monitor credit reports.