Expedited Reinstatement (EXR)

What is EXR?

If your benefits ended because you worked and had earnings, you can request that your benefits start again without having to complete a new application. While we determine whether you can get benefits again, we can give you provisional (temporary) benefits for up to 6 months.

Are you eligible?

If you are an SSDI or SSI beneficiary who:

  • Stopped receiving benefits because of earnings from work,
  • Are unable to work or perform substantial gainful activity,
  • Are disabled because of an impairment(s) that is the same as or related to the impairment(s) that allowed you to get benefits earlier, and
  • Make the request within 5 years from the month your benefits ended.

What are provisional benefits?

Provisional benefits can be paid when you request EXR. It will include cash payments and Medicare/Medicaid coverage. They usually do not have to be paid back if we deny your request. Provisional payments are paid for up to six months, but will end sooner if you:

  • Are notified of our EXR decision
  • Engage in SGA
  • Reach full retirement age.

If you have any questions, please call Social Security Administration toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local office.