We can accept most documents that show you were born in the United States (U.S.).

If you are a U.S. Citizen born outside the U.S., and our records have not been updated, we need to see a document such as a:

If you are not a U.S. citizen, we need to see your Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Department of State documents, such as a Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a "Green Card") to verify your 9-digit Alien Registration Number (A-Number). If you have a Form I-94, Admission-Departure Record, we need to see that document to verify your 11-digit Admission Number.

We must see the original document(s), or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. Do not write anything on your original documents.

If you have the documents we need, you should submit them as soon as possible. If you have foreign birth records or lawful presence (i.e., immigration) documents, then you must schedule an appointment to bring them to the Social Security office where we will examine and return them to you. You may mail all other documents and we will return them to you once we examine them.

If you don't have all the documents, you should submit any documents you do have. We will help you get the other documents.

Note: DHS was formerly the Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS).