If you are age 65 or older, you or your spouse are still working and you are covered under a group health plan based on that current employment, you may not need to apply for Medicare medical insurance (Part B) at age 65. You may qualify for a "Special Enrollment Period" (SEP) that will let you sign up for Part B:

Note: COBRA and retiree health plans aren't considered coverage based on current employment. If you have that type of coverage, you will not be eligible for a SEP when it ends. To avoid paying a higher premium, make sure you sign up for Medicare when you are first eligible.

People who receive Social Security disability benefits and are covered under a group health plan from either their own or a family member's current employment also have a special enrollment period and premium rights similar to those for workers age 65 or older.

If you want to know more about enrollment periods for Part B, please read the information about general and special enrollment periods in the "Signing up for Medicare" section of our "Medicare" booklet or talk to your personnel office.