If you were self-employed last year, we need to see a copy of Schedule C and SE from your tax return.

For your convenience, we can accept photocopies of your self-employment tax returns. We will return all documents and photocopies to you unless you specifically tell us otherwise. If you have the documents we need, you should submit them as soon as possible. If you don't have all the documents, you should submit any documents you do have. We will help you get the other documents.

Note: If you mail any documents to us, we must have your Social Security Number so we can match them with your claim. Please write your Social Security Number on a separate sheet of paper and include it in the mailing envelope along with your documents.

Do not write anything on your original documents. If you do not want to mail your documents, you may bring them to the Social Security office where we will examine and return them to you. Or, if a later office visit becomes necessary, you may bring them with you at that time.