You can choose to block electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information on the Internet or through our automated telephone service. You may want to block your information if you

  • have been the victim of domestic violence;
  • have been the victim of identity theft; or
  • have any reason you do not want your record to be available.

If you block access to your record and then change your mind in the future, you can contact Social Security and ask us to unblock it.

Go to Block Electronic Access.

Related Publications