Set Up or Change Your Direct Deposit of Benefit Payment
Do you want to set up or change the direct deposit of your benefit payment? We are constantly expanding and improving our online services, including the ability to set up or change your direct deposit information. If you already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and you have a bank account, simply log in to or create your personal and secure my Social Security account.
What is Direct Deposit?
Direct deposit is a simple, safe, and secure way to get benefits. If you need us to send your payment to a bank or credit union account, have all of the following information ready when you apply.
- Social Security number
- Bank routing transit number
- Account type (checking or savings)
- Account number
How to Set Up or Change Direct Deposit of Benefit Payment Online
- Log in to your account.
- Sign in and Select the blue Benefits & Payment Details link on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down and select the Update Direct Deposit button, and choose if you are the owner or co-owner of the bank account.
- Enter your bank account information and select Next.
- Review and verify your banking information and select Submit then select Done.
- You can also decide when your change will take effect, by simply using the My Profile tab within my Social Security.
Additional information related to this service
As of March 1, 2013, you are required to receive your payments electronically. If you applied for benefits before that date and did not sign up for electronic payments at that time, we strongly urge you to do so now. For more information regarding switching to an electronic payment if you don’t have a bank account, visit Treasury’s Go Direct website or call the helpline at 1-800-333-1795.
Still have questions?
If you have questions or need help understanding how to set up or change direct deposit online, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your Social Security office. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.