Open Government Initiative
Transparency | Participation | Collaboration
Social Security Administration (SSA) Quarterly Data for
Types of Public Inquiries Received
Last updated on
Download this dataset
The goal of the Social Security Administration (SSA) is to improve core services provided to the public and provide alternative methods for conducting business with the agency. The Office of Public Inquiries (OPI) is the receipt, control, response, and referral point for public inquiries addressed to the Commissioner and OPI. This dataset reflects a categorization of inquiries from the public.
Agency Program Description
In carrying out its responsibilities, OPI does the following:
- Responds to public high-priority inquiries.
- Identifies the most sensitive inquiries in order to be brought to the attention of the Office of the Commissioner.
- Provides ombudsman services for telephone inquiries referred from the Office of the Commissioner.
- Develops and issues online agency-approved guide language (over 900 paragraphs) for use in answering inquiries throughout SSA.
- Provides statistical information to the Office of the Commissioner and the Office of Communications on current trending issues.
- Handles complimentary letters sent to the Commissioner regarding service provided by SSA employees or offices.
- Prepares SSA employees’ retirement letters for the entire agency.
Information about sending mail inquiries to Social Security is found at: Contact Social Security By Mail
This dataset gives a breakdown of the incoming inquiries categorized by topics by quarter. These topics include program and post entitlement issues as well as questions regarding earnings and Social Security numbers. Additionally, this dataset shows the number of inquiries related to a miscellaneous topic. The data source is the Electronic Management of Assignments and Correspondence system (EMAC). Examples of inquiries included within the miscellaneous topic are service complaints, fraud/ID theft, trust funds, and personnel/administrative issues.
Fiscal Year (FY): The 12-month period from October 1st through September 30th.
Quarter (QTR): Each FY broken down by quarters. The total is cumulative year-to-date for the FY through the quarter shown.
Program Issues: The number of inquiries received pertaining to Social Security program issues.
Post-entitlement Issues: The number of inquiries received pertaining to post entitlement issues. These include issues occurring after an individual is receiving benefits.
Earnings: The number of inquiries pertaining to earnings. These include issues about earnings and wages reported to Social Security and/or earnings reflected in the agency’s records.
SSNs: The number of inquiries pertaining to Social Security numbers, including Social Security cards.
Miscellaneous: The number of inquiries pertaining to other kinds of issues including service complaints, fraud/identity theft, trust funds, and personnel/administrative issues.