Geospatial Map Tutorial
Thank you for exploring our Geospatial maps. The Questions and Answers (Q+As) found below are based on feedback from our employees and the public!
For an optimal user experience, our maps work best in Google Chrome or Firefox. If you are an SSA employee using Internet Explorer 11, please refer to the instructions below to set up your browser for the best user experience.
Please feel free to send us any additional questions or comments you may have on our Geospatial Maps to: email@example.com.
Opening Maps in IE 11
Internet Explorer IE 11 users will need to perform the following steps to access the navigation to our Geomaps. Verify that you have administration rights to your computer before beginning.
- Go to TOOLS in the Internet Explorer IE 11 menu.
- Click on INTERNET OPTIONS selection.
- Click on SITES.
- Click on ADVANCED.
- Add https://socialsecurity.maps.arcgis.com to the Website list
- Click CLOSE.
- Refresh the map page to begin.
Look for the CLICK HERE option. This will open the navigation controls for the map. You will get a dialogue box with an external link disclaimer language. To use our map, you will need to select, Click OK to continue.
You can begin exploring the map using the navigation tools, located at the top of the map. There you will find the (+), (home), (-), and (base map) buttons:
- Use the (+) or (-) navigation keys to zoom in, or zoom out on the map
- Select the (home) button to revert the map back to the original size
- Click on the (base map) button to change the view of your map (e.g. terrain view, street view)
You can also use your mouse wheel to zoom-in and zoom-out.
Feel free to click away and explore, and rest assured that you cannot make any permanent changes to the map!
Searching Your Town and State
- To locate your nearest Social Security office use the Search Bar at the top right hand corner of the screen.
Map View before Zooming In
Map View after Zooming In
- In the Search Bar, type in your town and state, and select the ENTER key. After you submit your city and
state, the map will automatically zoom-in on the city and state you submitted in the search field. Refer
to the map legend, for the symbols used in each map.
- If no symbols on the map appear, you may need to use your mouse to zoom in or out to see the map symbols. Click on any of our symbols on the map to get information on the data you selected.
Click on any symbol on the map to reveal a pop-up box with additional information regarding that feature.
Pop-up with Additional Information Box