|Issue refreshed Open Government Plan and share it with public and employees
||September 15, 2016
||Complete – Open Government Plan 4.1 published on Social Security's Open Government webpage on February 17, 2017.
|Expand and enhance our public open government web presence
- April 2018 – SSA released a news item on its collaboration with 19 federal agencies to provide information about financial literacy.
- January 2018 – Added news items.
- August 2017 – Renovated and updated information available on the Open Government website.
- June 2017 – Added data for application developers to the Developer Support Webpage.
- Nov 2016 – Added three new geospatial maps to our Open Government Map Gallery (OASDI Beneficiaries & Benefits by State 2013 & 2015, American Indian and Alaska Native Outreach Map.)
|Use social media and other tools more effectively to share information, engage the public, and provide easily accessible and relevant data to the public
- June 2018 – SSA partnered with the Administration for Community Living, Health and Human Services (HHS) to highlight World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. We used the SSA blog as well as other social media tools.
- June 2018 – SSA conducted a Facebook Live event titled, "The Future of Social Security 2018." The live broadcast featured Social Security Chief Actuary, Steve Goss. Mr. Goss discussed the newly released Social Security Trustees Report. He took several questions from the audience ranging from questions about the annual cost-of-living adjustment to questions about the Social Security and Medicare programs. There were over 8,000 views.
- May 2018 – SSA updated the open source code on Code.gov around code asset ANDI.
- April 2018 – SSA shares metadata about its open source code on Code.gov. The SSA uses the tool GitHub as a repository for more detailed information.
- April 2018 – Video: What is my Social Security was released on YouTube.
- April 2018 – New Engage SSA platform includes Open Data engagement.
- March 2018 – Promoted Sunshine Week 2018 using Facebook and Twitter posts.
- January 2018 – Produced Facebook Live event on retirement planning.
- Sep 19, 2017 – Produced Facebook Live event, titled “The Future of Social Security Part II” to discuss the newly released 2017 Trustees Report. Featured SSA’s Chief Actuary, Steve Goss
- June 2017–We continue to use two-way feedback, crowdsourcing tool, IdeaScale, to host the Open Data Project, as a way to engage with internal and external data researchers.
- May 2017 – Produced Facebook Live event to promote the release of 2016 Top Baby Names
- Mar 22, 2017 – Held National Work Incentives Seminar Event (WISE Webinar): "The ABLE Act: Achieving a Better Life Experience."
- Feb 22, 2017 – Held National Work Incentives Seminar Event (WISE Webinar): "Choosing a Service Provider That's Right for You."
- Jan 25, 2017 – Held National Work Incentives Seminar Event (WISE Webinar): "Make it Happen: The Ticket to Financial Freedom."
- Dec 21, 2016 – Held National Work Incentives Seminar Event (WISE Webinar): “Debunking the Three Biggest Myths about Disability Benefits and Work.”
- Nov 16, 2016 – Held National Work Incentives Seminar Event (WISE Webinar): “Ticket to Work and Mentorship: Achieving Financial Independence.”
- Oct 2016 – For the National Disability Forum held on October 27, 2016, we used SSA’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and blog to promote and engage stakeholders.
|Continue to identify and release data in an open, accessible, and machine-readable format
- April 2018 – New data on 2017 FOIA added to inventory and Data.gov.
- Feb 1, 2018 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Sep 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Aug 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Jul 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Jun 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- May 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Apr 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Mar 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Feb 1, 2017 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Dec 30, 2016 – Open Data Progress web page updated.
- Nov 30, 2016 – We continue to publish an Open Data Progress web page with a chart tallying the data assets added to the enterprise data inventory. This chart is updated at the end of each month and contains data totals back to August 2014.
|Continue to identify public Social Security data to adapt into geospatial maps and Application Programming Interfaces (API)
- May 2018 – Added two new Video Service Delivery (VSD) locations to the AIAN geospatial map.
- March 2018 – Updated the geospatial map tutorials.
- February 2018 – Added new locations to geospatial map.
- Sep 2017 – Reviewed office locations and coding to ensure data accuracy
- June 2017 – Released field office and resident station address information with an API service
- Nov 2016 – Adapted three datasets into new geospatial maps featured in our Open Government Map Gallery (OASDI Beneficiaries & Benefits by State 2013 & 2015, American Indian and Alaska Native Outreach Map.)
|Foster the use of agency data through ongoing contacts with stakeholders and interested parties
- May 2018 – Communicated with interested stakeholders regarding the relaese of baby names data.
- February 2018 – Met with Federal agencies on geoplatform and data.gov.
- August-September 2017 – Benchmarked with other federal agencies and departments about how they are organized to support the principles of open government and open data. More in-depth discussions were held with the Department of Health and Human Services to discuss both data and other initiatives.
- August 2017 – Developed a flyer for use at conferences with stakeholders to highlight data available to the public. Used a targeted version of the flyer at the 2017 Home and Community Based Services Conference held in Baltimore.
- June 2016 – Conducted conference calls with researchers and business users about data and new tools that can provide insights into our processes.
- December 2016 – We continue to engage with data users, stakeholders, and other interested parties through our moderated Open Data Project engagement.
|Explore implementation of new FOIA system
||Completed- May 29, 2017
- February 2018 – New system selected for March 2018 Sunshine material.
- May 29, 2017 – The agency started using the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) FOIA solution, FOIAonline. All new FOIA are being processed in FOIAonline so all the processing is now in a fully electronic format instead of the paper files needed for our old system.
|Expand the release of proactive disclosure items to FOIA Proactive Disclosure web page
- March 2018 – New items added to the FOIA Reading Room.
- November 2017 – New items added to the FOIA Reading Room.
- September 2017 – Additional proactive disclosure items added to our Reading Room
- June 2017 – Agency continues to expand proactive disclosure items in our Reading Room, including annual reports regarding ALJ disposition data, SSI payment and award information, sanctioned representatives, etc. We have been posting more documents to our FOIA Library and now that we are using FOIAonline, this fully electronic system is designed so FOIA documents and proactive disclosure items can be automatically placed into the Reading Room.
- Dec 2016 – Agency continues to expand proactive disclosure items in our Reading Room, including annual reports regarding ALJ disposition data, SSI payment and award information, sanctioned representatives, etc. With SSA transitioning to FOIAonline next year, we will be implementing the new system’s FOIA Reading Room for proactive disclosures. FOIAonline is a fully electronic system, so FOIA documents and proactive disclosure items can be automatically placed into the Reading Room.
|Provide our employees with training, new tools, and access to data to use innovation methods in support of our core mission
- May 2018 – Continued to hold internal meetings about Google Analytics for data driven decision making.
- April 2018 – SSA published a newsletter providing the latest activity on the BI Tools Migration project.
- February 2018 – Accessible Name and Description Inspector (ANDI) code added to Github. ANDI detects accessibility issues.
- Sep 2017 – Agency workgroups such as the Business Intelligence and the GIS working groups regularly meet and share information about tools, training opportunities and innovations in data analytics to promote access and use of data in support of our mission.
- Sep 2017 – Agency continues to develop, and consistently improve, the internal Communications Outreach Activity Reporting System (COARS) system. Employees across the agency are being trained on COARS reporting as a means of tracking external/public engagement.
- Jan - June, 2017 – Tableau training for SSA employees. Tableau is an interactive data visualization tool focused on business intelligence for SSA.
- In FY 16, ODEPP implemented an interim solution to improve the centralized tracking of interagency data sharing requests. The SharePoint-based tracking tool allows for reporting on certain data exchange performance measures, tracks the workflow for incoming data exchange requests (new requests and modifications to existing agreements), and separately tracks the administrative/legal and financial agreement workflows (including annual renewals). The data exchange tracker contains all FY 15 and FY 16 data exchange requests received to date. Additionally, ODEPP is in the process of developing an Integrated Data Exchange Application (IDEA), which will establish a single interface using a universal business process for processing, administering, tracking, and reporting on all data exchange agreements within the agency. This is critical for the long-term leadership and enterprise governance of our data sharing services.
|Continue to provide Open Data quarterly reports to OMB, as required
- July 2018 – OMB is developing a federal data strategy. It will be made actionable through upcoming milestones in a cross agency performance goal. More information has been posted at www.performance.gov.
- May 2018 – SSA submits report.
- February 2018 – SSA submits report.
- November 2017 – SSA submits report.
- Aug 2017 – Quarterly report to OMB on open data accomplishments was submitted on time, as required.
- May 2017 – Quarterly report to OMB on open data and accomplishments, was submitted on time, as required.
- Feb 28, 2017 – Quarterly report on the Open Data CAP Goal was submitted to OMB on time by the due date of February 28, 2017.
- Nov 30, 2016 – Quarterly report on the Open Data CAP Goal was completed submitted to OMB on time by the due date of November 30.
- May 2017 – Quarterly report to OMB on open data and accomplishments, was submitted on time, as required.
|Complete records management requirements in the timeframes contained in the M-12-18 issued by OMB on August 24, 2012
- February 2018 – Self-Assessment Process begins.
- Nov 4, 2016 – SSA began managing permanent and temporary email records in an accessible electronic format in 2016. We submitted NA Form 1005 to NARA for approval on November 4, 2016.