What you need to do

We have listed the whole process here, but you only need to do Step 2!
Who... Does What...

Step 1

U.S. Embassies
U.S. Consulates
Collect information needed for a Social Security number on Form DS-230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration) or Form DS-260 (Immigrant Visa Electronic Application) , as part of the immigrant visa process.
(.pdf format)blank spaceAdobe Reader Download Page

Step 2

the word you with an up arrow
Answer "Yes" to the following questions on the Form DS-230 or DS-260

  Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the "Consent To Disclosure" in order to receive an SSN and/or card.

I authorize disclosure from this form to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN and issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize the SSA to share my SSN with the INS.

The applicant's response does not limit or restrict the Government's ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for enforcement or other purposes as authorized by law.

Step 3

U.S. Embassies
U.S. Consulates

Send your information to Department of Homeland Security.

Step 4

Homeland Security

Admits you into the U.S.

Sends your information to the Social Security Administration.

Step 5

Social Security

If you don't receive your card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the U.S., go into the nearest Social Security office or Card Center with proof of age, identity and employment authorization:



back to the top

collage of documents