This site provides information to financial planners regarding the various Social Security programs and Medicare and is a valuable resource in helping your clients plan for retirement or other life events.
New! Information for tax preparers and their clients on Social Security Tax Documents
- Information for Tax Preparers
- Replace Your Social Security Tax Documents with Ease
- Information for Tax Preparers - Web Page
Online Applications For Social Security Benefits
Social Security offers online applications for retirement, spouse’s, Medicare and disability benefits.
Visit our Calculators page to get an estimate of your future benefits or find out how other factors, such as work or a pension from a job not covered by Social Security, can affect your benefits.
You may also want to read “Other things to consider" to help decide when it's the best time to start benefits.
- Retirement Benefits
- Understanding The Benefits
- What Every Woman Should Know
- Medicare Premiums: Rules For Higher-Income Beneficiaries
- When To Start Receiving Retirement Benefits
- Your Retirement Benefit: How It Is Figured
Related Retirement Information
- Full Retirement Age
- Delayed Retirement Credits
- Benefits for your spouse
- Retirement Planner: Suspending Retirement Benefit Payments
- If You Change Your Mind
- If you work and get benefits
- Paying income tax on Social Security benefits
- Government Pension Offset
- The Windfall Elimination Provision
- Information You'll Need When You Apply for Retirement Benefits or Medicare
- Frequently Asked Retirement Questions
Changes to Social Security Claiming Strategies from the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015
Have you heard that some of Social Security’s rules about claiming benefits are changing?
Visit the following resources to help you understand the changes:
- What You Need to Know About the New Laws for Claiming Retirement Benefits
- Retirement Planner: Recent Social Security Claiming Changes
- Retirement Planner: Deemed Filing FAQs
- Retirement Planner: Voluntary Suspension FAQs
- Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 Closes Social Security Loophole
Downloadable Statement Developers Guide
The Machine Readable Downloadable Statement Developers Guide provides guidance for companies to develop financial and retirement planning software that will read the file generated by SSA and provided by a my Social Security user who has downloaded their file. It includes a file format guide to aid software developers in understanding the layout of the machine-readable file. The file format guide will include information such as what fields may appear in the file, their possible values, and short descriptions of each.
Other Social Security Information
- Get Or Replace A Social Security Card
- Change a name on a Social Security card
- Identity theft and your Social Security number
- Reporting the death of someone getting benefits
Under certain circumstances, Social Security can provide a speaker to discuss our programs, benefits, and services. We provide speakers free of charge, and they are generally available during business hours only. If you'd like to have a Social Security representative speak at a conference, pre-retirement seminar or study group meeting, please visit our Request a Speaker page.