I-3-1-10.Actions Before Making Recommendations to the Appeals Council

Last Update: 9/08/05 (Transmittal I-3-36)

The analyst may need additional information to make a recommendation to the Appeals Council. Among the means available to obtain needed information are to:

  • refer medical questions to the Medical Support Staff (MSS);

  • request updated or additional earnings information;

  • refer policy questions to the Office of Policy, Planning and Evaluation (OPPE);

  • refer non-disability program questions to the Retirement and Survivors Insurance and Supplemental Security Income Branch; and

  • refer field policy questions to the Office of the Chief Administrative Law Judge (OCALJ).

In addition, the Administrative Appeals Judge (AAJ) may request an analyst to prepare, for the Associate Commissioner's signature, a request for an opinion from the Office of the General Counsel.