I-2-8-105.Exhibit – Language for the Notice of Continuation of Disability Payments in Title II Only Medical Cessation Remand Cases

Last Update: 10/24/14 (Transmittal I-2-123)


Social Security Number:

Your Benefit Payments Will Begin Again Soon

You will begin receiving your Social Security Disability Insurance benefits again soon. You may receive your benefit payments until you receive a new decision by an administrative law judge (ALJ).

Why Are Your Benefit Payments Starting Again?

We stopped your benefit payments because an ALJ decided that you were no longer disabled (or an ALJ dismissed your case). The Appeals Council sent your case back to an ALJ for further action, and the prior decision (or dismissal order) is no longer in effect. Therefore, you may receive benefit payments until the ALJ makes a new decision.

What Do I Need To Do To Restart My Benefits?

You do not have to do anything if you want to receive benefits again until we make a new decision. Your benefit payments for future months will start again soon. After we start your benefit payments again, we will contact you to determine if we need to adjust any benefit payments.

What If I Do Not Want To Receive Benefit Payments Until A Decision Is Made?

If you do not want to receive benefit payments while you wait for a new decision, you must contact any Social Security office or the toll free numbers listed below.

What Happens After A New Decision?

If the ALJ finds you are not disabled in a new decision (or if the ALJ dismisses your case), we will stop your benefits. We will ask you to repay the disability benefits you received while you were appealing your case. You have the right to ask us to not require you to repay these benefits.

If the ALJ finds you disabled, we will pay you all additional benefits that we owe you.

What To Do If You Have Any Questions

We invite you to visit our website located at www.socialsecurity.gov to find answers to general questions about social security. You may also call (800) 772-1213 with questions. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please use our TTY number (800) 325-0778.

If you have any other questions, please call, write, or visit any Social Security office. Please have this notice with you. The telephone number of the local office that serves your area is [Insert local office telephone number]. Its address is:

Social Security

[Insert Street Address]

[Insert City], [Insert State] [Insert Zip]