1827.Do you need to report your work activity performed outside the U.S.?

If you are under full retirement age and receive retirement benefits or receive disability benefits as the worker, spouse, survivor or dependent of a worker, you must file a report with us if you become employed for 45 hours or more per month or become self-employed outside the U.S. You must file the report before the receipt and acceptance of a benefit for the second month following the month in which you worked. For example, if you work 45 hours or more in January, you must report your work activity before you receive and accept your benefits in March. Report employment or self employment to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you are outside the United States.

Last Revised: Jul. 29, 2008