Contact Social Security By Phone
Before you call:
Did you know we’ve answered more than 200 of your most frequently asked questions (FAQs)? Check out the online FAQs for quick and convenient answers.
Generally, we do not publish the phone numbers of our local offices. You can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
You can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day. If you cannot handle your business through our automated services, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Using Our Automated Telephone Services:
Services for all beneficiaries
- Request a benefit verification letter
- Ask for a form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, to request a replacement tax summary
Services for Medicare beneficiaries only
- Request a replacement Medicare Card
- Request a form SSA-1020 to apply for help with Medicare prescription drug costs
Services for people who have applied for benefits
- Ask to receive a claim status
Services everyone can use
- Find the address of your local Social Security office
- Request a form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, to:
- apply for an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours was lost or stolen,
- request a name change on your card, or
- update or correct other information on your Social Security number record.
You can listen to informational messages on the following subjects:
- Payment delivery dates
- Direct deposit
- Best times to call our 800 number
- Social Security Internet address and services
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Cost-of-living adjustment
- Non-receipt of your Social Security benefit
- Representative payee
- Become a representative payee