Before you call:
Did you know we’ve answered more than 200 of your most frequently asked questions (FAQs)? Check out the online FAQs for quick and convenient answers.
If you cannot use our online services, please call your local office for assistance. In-person service is limited to appointments only at this time, and our employees are assisting people by telephone. You can find the phone number for your local office by using our Office Locator.
If you cannot reach your local office, you may call our National 800 Number toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. You may be able to take care of your business by using one of our automated telephone services (please see below) 24 hours a day without having to wait for a telephone representative. Wait times to speak with a representative may be longer than usual, which is why we encourage you to try our online services, automated telephone services, or call your local office first. Our National 800 Number, 1-800-772-1213, is available between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you’re deaf or hard of hearing and use TTY equipment, you can call our TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.
Using Our Automated Telephone Services
Services for all beneficiaries
- Request a benefit verification letter
- Ask for a form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, to request a replacement tax summary
Services for Medicare beneficiaries only
- Request a replacement Medicare Card
- Request a form SSA-1020 to apply for help with Medicare prescription drug costs
Services for people who have applied for benefits
- Ask to receive a claim status
Services everyone can use
- Find the address of your local Social Security office
- Request a form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, to:
- apply for an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours was lost or stolen,
- request a name change on your card, or
- update or correct other information on your Social Security number record.
You can listen to informational messages on the following subjects:
- Payment delivery dates
- Direct deposit
- Best times to call our 800 number
- Social Security Internet address and services
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Cost-of-living adjustment
- Non-receipt of your Social Security benefit
- Representative payee
- Become a representative payee
Services for Social Security Benefits Only
- Change address and/or phone number