Where Can I Find My Account Information?

If your account is in the United States, you can locate your bank or financial institution’s Routing Transit Number (RTN) and your account number on one of your bank statements or blank checks.

Your Routing Transit Number may appear on your checking or savings account statements. For checks, the Routing Transit Number is usually the first nine numbers in the bottom left-hand corner of the check. The account number is usually the second set of numbers.

Image showing usual location of the Routing Transit Number in the lower left corner of the check

Please contact your bank or financial institution if you are unable to locate these numbers.

If you want your benefits deposited directly into an account outside the United States,

  1. Contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or Social Security office to obtain a "Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form," form SSA-1199, for the country where you want your United States Social Security benefit payments deposited. A list of U.S. Embassies, Consulates and Diplomatic Missions can be found at http://www.usembassy.gov/.
  2. Have your bank or financial institution complete the form.
  3. Use that information to add your direct deposit account information to this application.