Open Government Initiative
Transparency | Participation | Collaboration
Social Security Administration (SSA) Quarterly Data for
Average Processing Time (in days) for Public Inquiries
Last updated on
Download this dataset
The goal of the Social Security Administration (SSA) is to improve core services provided to the public and provide alternative methods for conducting business with the agency. The Office of Public Inquiries (OPI) is the receipt, control, response, and referral point for public inquiries addressed to the Commissioner and OPI. This dataset reflects the timeliness of responding to inquiries sent to us from the public.
Agency Program Description
In carrying out its responsibilities, OPI does the following:
- Responds to public high-priority inquiries.
- Identifies the most sensitive inquiries in order to be brought to the attention of the Office of the Commissioner.
- Provides ombudsman services for telephone inquiries referred from the Office of the Commissioner.
- Develops and issues online agency-approved guide language (over 900 paragraphs) for use in answering inquiries throughout SSA.
- Provides statistical information to the Office of the Commissioner and the Office of Communications on current trending issues.
- Handles complimentary letters sent to the Commissioner regarding service provided by SSA employees or offices.
- Prepares SSA employees’ retirement letters for the entire agency.
For information about sending mail inquiries to Social Security, got to: Contact Social Security By Mail
This dataset shows the average processing time for completed inquiries. The data source is the Electronic Management of Assignments and Correspondence system (EMAC). The “Average Processing Time” represents the number of days from the entry of the case (inquiry) into the OPI record system to the case’s completion.
Field A: Fiscal Year – Federal fiscal year (FY) which begins on October 1 and ends on September 30.
Field B: Quarter/Tota – Timeframe shown by quarter of the fiscal year.
Field C: Inquiries Processed – Number of inquiries processed (completed) during the period.
Field D: Average Processing Time – Average processing time in days from entry of the case (inquiry) into the OPI record system to completion for all inquiries completed during the period.