Social Security Administration (SSA) Quarterly Data for
Average Processing Time (in days) for Public Inquiries
Download this data set
This data set contains data for fiscal years 2014 onward and is currently available in the following format(s):
The goal of the Social Security Administration (SSA) is to improve core services provided to the public and provide alternative methods for conducting business with the agency. The Office of Public Inquiries and Communications Support (OPICS) is the receipt, control, response, and referral point for public inquiries addressed to the Commissioner and OPICS. This data set reflects the timeliness of responding to inquiries sent to us from the public.
Data Set Index
Agency Program Description
In carrying out its responsibilities, OPICS does the following:
- Responds to public high-priority inquiries.
- Identifies the most sensitive inquiries in order to be brought to the attention of the Office of the Commissioner.
- Provides ombudsman services for telephone inquiries referred from the Office of the Commissioner.
- Develops and issues online agency-approved guide language (over 900 paragraphs) for use in answering inquiries throughout SSA.
- Provides statistical information to the Office of the Commissioner and the Office of Communications on current trending issues.
- Handles complimentary letters sent to the Commissioner regarding service provided by SSA employees or offices.
- Prepares SSA employees' retirement letters for the entire agency.
For information about sending mail inquiries to Social Security, go to: Contact Social Security By Mail
Data Set Description
This data set has the average processing time for completed inquiries. The data source was the Electronic Management of Assignments and Correspondence system (EMAC), which we are in the process of re-engineering. When the new EMAC is available, it will provide improved, automated management information. We will post additional data after the new system is operational.
A Federal Fiscal Year (FY) is the 12-month period from October 1st through September 30th. Most years our fiscal year workload reports contain 52 weeks since we include only full weeks, rather than cut off in the middle of a week. Every few years the reporting period is 53 weeks when we apply the end of week cutoff. Fiscal Year 2016 is a 53 week year for our workload reports.
Fiscal Year (FY): The 12-month period from October 1st through September 30th.
Quarter (QTR)/Total: FY totals broken down by quarter.
Number of Inquiries Processed: The number of inquiries processed (completed) during the period.
Average Processing Time: The average processing time (in days) from entry of the case (inquiry) into the OPICS record system to completion for all inquiries completed during the period.