Social Security Administration (SSA) Quarterly Data for
Average Processing Time (in days) for Public Inquiries
Last updated on
Download this dataset
The goal of the Social Security Administration (SSA) is to improve core services provided to the public and provide alternative methods for conducting business with the agency. The Office of Public Inquiries and Communications Support (OPICS) is the receipt, control, response, and referral point for public inquiries addressed to the Commissioner and OPICS. This dataset reflects the timeliness of responding to inquiries sent to us from the public.
Agency Program Description
In carrying out its responsibilities, OPICS does the following:
- Responds to public high-priority inquiries.
- Identifies the most sensitive inquiries in order to be brought to the attention of the Office of the Commissioner.
- Provides ombudsman services for telephone inquiries referred from the Office of the Commissioner.
- Develops and issues online agency-approved guide language (over 900 paragraphs) for use in answering inquiries throughout SSA.
- Provides statistical information to the Office of the Commissioner and the Office of Communications on current trending issues.
- Handles complimentary letters sent to the Commissioner regarding service provided by SSA employees or offices.
- Prepares SSA employees’ retirement letters for the entire agency.
For information about sending mail inquiries to Social Security, go to: Contact Social Security By Mail
This dataset has the average processing time for completed inquiries. The data source was the Electronic Management of Assignments and Correspondence system (EMAC), which we are in the process of re-engineering. When the new EMAC is available, it will provide improved, automated management information. We will post additional data after the new system is operational.
Fiscal Year (FY): The 12-month period from October 1st through September 30th.
Quarter (QTR)/Total: FY totals and broken down by quarter.
Number of Inquiries Processed: The number of inquiries processed (completed) during the period.
Average Processing Time: The average processing time (in days) from entry of the case (inquiry) into the OPICS record system to completion for all inquiries completed during the period.