I-2-5-64.Obtaining Evidence From Nonmedical Sources – the Claimant

Last Update: 9/28/05 (Transmittal I-2-68)

A. Requesting the Claimant to Obtain Evidence

  1. Examples of documents which the claimant can provide:

    • Pay stubs, W-2 Forms, copies of tax returns or other information for years in which wage information is required.

    • Birth certificates or other documents proving age or relationship.

    • Bank statements, securities, certificates and other evidence of resources.

    • Statements from friends, relatives or employers who have information pertinent to the issues.

  2. Request the representative (or the claimant, if unrepresented) to provide any such evidence:

    • Diary the case for 15 days.

    • If the requested evidence is not received by the diary date, contact the claimant or representative again following the general guidelines contained in I-2-3-20 C., Acknowledgement Form Not Returned.

B. Refusal by the Claimant to Submit Evidence

If a claimant refuses to submit such evidence, follow the procedures in I-2-5-24, Claimant Fails or Refuses to Submit Requested Evidence or Undergo a Consultative Examination or Test.