134.Returning Checks To The Social Security Office

134.1When must you return checks to the Social Security Administration?

If you received a check from us and you are not entitled to the payment, you must return the check. Returning checks helps permit prompt payment when you become entitled and may save you from the possible penalties described in §§1820, 1828, and 1831.

134.2How do you return Social Security checks?

Return the check to the Regional Financial Center (RFC), U.S. Treasury Department, using the address on the check envelope. If you prefer, you may return the check to the Social Security office. That office will give you a receipt for the check and will return the check to the U.S. Treasury Department. When returning a check, give the reason why it is being returned.

Last Revised: Jan. 23, 2007