135.What is done if you receive more money than you are entitled?

If you cash a check to which you are not entitled, a refund is ordinarily required. Often the program service center withholds later checks to make up for the overpayment. However, if this is not done you must refund the money.

Contact any convenient Social Security office to find out if a refund is necessary. If so, make the refund to the Social Security office, or program service center that handled the claim. Refunds may be made by check, money order, or other draft payable to the Social Security Administration. Be sure to show your Social Security claim number so that it can be associated with the proper claims folder.