SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home938. Is work performed by U.S. citizens working in the U.S. as employees of foreign governments covered by Social Security?

Your work is covered as self-employment if you are a U.S. citizen working in the U.S. as:

  1. An employee of a foreign government;

  2. An employee of a foreign government's wholly-owned instrumentality, if the foreign government exempts similar work if performed in that country by U.S. employees; or

  3. An employee of certain U.S.-designated international organizations.

This provision and §937 do not change for Federal employees not under FERS or FSPS.

Last Revised: Jun. 30, 2004