946.Are services performed by students enrolled in a work-study program covered by Social Security?

Students enrolled in the Work-Study Program funded under the Higher Education Act may be employed by private, State, or local colleges and universities, or for public or private nonprofit organizations. Your Social Security coverage depends on the identity of your employer.

If your work is performed for a State or local government agency, your services may be covered under the agreement with the State if that State does not expressly exclude work performed by a student. (See §1002)

Last Revised: Sep. 25, 2007