SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home1420. Procedure for Correcting Earnings Record

1420.1 What is the process for correcting earnings records, and when should it be done?

To correct your Social Security Earnings record, get in touch with the nearest Social Security office or call SSA's toll free number 1-800-772-1213. Do this when your earnings statement shows that earnings have not been correctly reported or credited. It will be helpful when you contact SSA to have any information such as forms W-2, pay stubs, etc. available.

1420.2 How does the SSA assist employees with correcting their record?

We do several things to help correct your record. We will first ask if you have any evidence of your earnings such as forms W-2, pay stubs, etc. We check to see if any missing reports of earnings can be found. If we cannot find the records, and you do not have any evidence of your earnings we will write your employer to get a statement of your earnings.

Last Revised: Sep. 1, 2009