1421.Evidence Needed to Change Earnings Record

1421.1Can your earnings record be corrected?

Your earnings record can be corrected (subject to the requirements in §§1424-1425 if the time limit has passed) if there is acceptable evidence of wages paid to you.

1421.2What evidence is acceptable?

The evidence may be a statement signed by your employer, Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement), pay envelopes or pay slips, or personal records of your wages. (See §§1726-1733 for a discussion of how to establish wages.)

1421.3How can self-employed people establish earnings?

If you are self-employed, you may establish earnings by submitting a copy of your tax return. Include the applicable schedules (see §1416) and evidence that your return was filed on time with IRS. Evidence of filing your return includes canceled checks, IRS receipts, or other evidence of payment of tax shown on your return.

1421.4How can partnerships establish earnings?

If a partnership is involved, a copy of Form 1065 should also be furnished.

Last Revised: Sep. 1, 2009