1707.How Natural Parent-Child Relationship is Proved

1707.1How do you prove a natural parent-child relationship?

You can prove a natural legitimate parent-child relationship by the child's birth or religious certificate or hospital record, if it shows you as the child's parent. If evidence raises doubt about the record or if the record cannot be obtained, we will ask for other evidence of the relationship.

1707.2Can a child born out of wedlock be considered your child for Social Security purposes?

If the child was born out of wedlock, he or she may be considered your child for Social Security purposes if he or she:

  1. Is legitimated; or

  2. Can inherit your intestate personal property under applicable State law.

The evidence required depends on the State law requirements for legitimization or inheritance rights.

Last Revised: Jan. 4, 2006