1908.Refunds of Overpayments

1908.1When are refunds of overpayments requested?

We request refunds as soon as the overpayment is detected.

1908.2How should refund payments be made?

If you were overpaid, make your refund payment by check or money order to “Social Security Administration, Claim No. __.” For RSDI debts, and for SSI debts when the SSI individual is not receiving monthly payments, we accept credit card refund payments. We will provide a pre-addressed envelope for return of the check, money order, or credit card authorized form. Refund payments are sent to the Social Security Administration, Mid-Atlantic Program Service Center, P.O. Box 3430, Philadelphia, PA 19122-9985.

1908.3What happens if SSA does not receive the full refund?

If we do not receive a full refund, we may withhold benefits as described in §1910 in an amount required to cover the overpayment. (See §134 for return of benefit checks.) If you do not send the full refund and the overpayment cannot be withheld from benefits as described in §1910, you may arrange an installment plan of repayment. If you have a SSI overpayment and if you receive SSA payments after your SSI payments end, we will adjust your SSA benefits to recover your SSI overpayment.

1908.4What should be done with uncashed benefit checks?

If an overpayment has been made, return any benefit checks on hand.

Last Revised: Jul. 25, 2006