BSO Suite of Services
The following Services are available within BSO:
Report Wages to Social Security
Allows you to send W-2s and W-2cs to Social Security either by uploading a specifically formatted electronic file or by directly keying W-2s and W-2cs in an online form. Allows you to view the processing status, errors and error notices for wage files and/or wage reports submitted by or for your company. In addition, a one-time 15-day extension of the deadline for resubmitting wage data can be requested.
View Name and Social Security Number Errors
Allows you to view the processing status, errors (including Name and Social Security Number mismatches), and error notices for wage files and/or wage reports submitted by or for your company.
Social Security Number Verification Service
Allows you to complete an online form or submit specifically formatted files to request verification of names and Social Security Numbers of employees of the company for which you work or the company that has hired you to perform this service.
Proper Uses of Social Security Number Verification Service:
- Social Security will verify Social Security Numbers (SSNs) solely to ensure that the records of current or former employees are correct for the purpose of completing Internal Revenue Service Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement).
- Do not use the service to verify SSNs of potential new hires or contractors.
Company policy concerning the use of SSNVS should be applied consistently to all workers; for example:
- If used for newly hired workers, verify information on all newly hired workers.
- If used to verify information on other workers on your database, verify the information for all workers on the entire database.
- Third party use of SSNVS is strictly limited to organizations that handle annual wage reporting responsibilities for employers and have an authorized and valid contract to do so. SSNVS is not for individuals/companies who conduct identity verification, background checks or other related services for employers or other parties.
- Anyone who knowingly and willfully uses SSNVS to request or obtain information from Social Security under false pretenses violates Federal law and may be punished by a fine or imprisonment, or both.
Social Security will advise you when a name and SSN you submitted does not match our records.
- This response does not imply that you or your employee intentionally provided incorrect information about the employee's name or SSN.
- This response does not make any statement about your employee's immigration status.
- This response is not a basis, in and of itself, for you to take any adverse action against the employee, such as laying off, suspending, firing, or discriminating against the employee.
Internet Representative Payee Accounting Service
Allows individual and organization representatives to file their Representative Payee Report electronically. This includes the following:
- Form SSA-623 for Individual Representative Payee
- Form SSA-6230 for parents, stepparents and grandparents with minor children in custody
- Form SSA-6234 for Representative Payee organizations
Allows submission and printing of the appropriate representative payee accounting forms and allows downloading submitted forms for up to 30 days after submission.