Welcome to SSA’s Office of International Programs (OIP) home page. This site provides information about:
- The U.S. program of international Social Security agreements
- The payment of U.S. Social Security benefits outside the United States
- Nonresident alien tax withholding from U.S. Social Security benefits
- Social Security Programs in other countries
The United States has bilateral Social Security agreements with 26 countries. The agreements improve benefit protection for workers who have divided their careers between the United States and another country. They also eliminate dual Social Security coverage and taxes for multinational companies and expatriate workers. Look here for an overview of the agreements, as well as the text and a detailed description of each agreement.
Payments Outside the United States
Here you will find specific information about how your benefits could be affected while you are outside the United States.
Resource ToolsYou can use these helpful resource tools to answer specific questions about your benefits.
- The Payments Abroad Screening Tool will help you learn if you can receive benefits outside the United States.
- The Nonresident Alien Tax Screening Tool will help you learn if nonresident alien tax should be withheld from your benefits.
- The Windfall Elimination Provision Tool (WEP) will help you learn if your foreign pension will reduce your U.S. Social Security benefit.
Social Security in Other Countries
For information about other countries' Social Security programs, check the latest version of "Social Security Programs throughout the World".