Here’s some information you’ll want to get you started with filing your W-2s electronically with Social Security. For starters, filing W-2s electronically is free, fast and secure!
When you file electronically, you have an extra month to file because electronically filed W-2s aren’t due until March 31st. You also receive an acknowledgement receipt.
Business Services Online
Business Service Online offers three options to file W-2s electronically.
- You can use compatible payroll software to upload files using the
Wage File Upload application. If you use payroll software, we recommend that you test if before filing using Social Security's
- You can use our W-2 Online
that allows you to key your W-2 information directly to our website in the W-2 format and print copies for distribution to
your employees. No additional software needed.
- You can complete up to 25 Forms W-2c on your computer, electronically submit them to Social Security and print copies for distribution to your employees. No additional software needed.
Before You FileFiling Deadlines
Learn How to E-File Using Business Services Online
Steps to Register for a User ID and Password
Learn How To Verify Social Security Numbers Online
Checklist for W-2 Filing
Business Services Online (BSO)
Saturday: 5 AM - 11 PM ET
Sunday: 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET
About W-2 Filing
- Electronic W-2/W-2c Filing Handbook
- Vendor List
- Helpful Government Resources
- FIRE (1099) Filing Information Returns Electronically
- Employer W-2 Filing
W-2 Filing Assistance
- Checklist for W-2 Online Filing
- Specifications for Filing Forms W-2 and W-2c Electronically (EFW2/EFW2C)
- Paper Forms W-2 & Instructions
- If You're Self-Employed
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ask an Expert
- Tax Forums and Speaking Engagements
- Vendor List
- E-Verify - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Customer Support
- Employer Feedback