Date: May 29, 2008
House Passes H.R. 5787, the
“Federal Real Property Disposal Enhancement Act of 2008”
On May 21, 2008, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 5787, the Federal Real Property Disposal Enhancement Act of 2008. On May 22, 2008, the bill was sent to the Senate where it awaits action. The legislation would enhance authorities with regard to real property that has yet to be reported excess.
The bill contains the following provisions of interest to SSA:
• Would require the General Services Administration (GSA) to issue guidelines to assist agencies, including SSA, in developing their excess property disposal plans.
• Would require the GSA to issue guidance to Federal Agencies that addresses how to identify excess properties, how to evaluate the costs and benefits of disposing of real property, and how to prioritize disposal based on agency needs.
• Would require each Federal Agency, including SSA, to develop and implement a plan to identify and dispose of real property that is owned, leased or otherwise managed by the agency, identify and categorize all real property under its control, establish goals and incentives to dispose of excess real property and in appropriate cases, identify and prepare real property to be reported as excess.
• Would require each Federal Agency, including SSA, to maintain property inventory controls and accountability systems, continuously survey property under its control to identify excess property, promptly report excess property to the GSA, perform the care and handling of excess property, and transfer or dispose of excess property as soon as possible.
• Would, to the extent practical, require Federal Agencies, including SSA, to obtain excess property from other Federal Agencies before acquiring non-Federal property.
• Would be effective upon enactment.