Resources To Assist Youth With the Transition To A Successful Adulthood

Employment Supports/
National and Community Resources
(Alphabetically Listed)

How These Resources Can Help You

Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Accounts

Do you have expenses related to blindness or disability that began prior to age 26? See ABLE Accounts.


Do you want to find a national volunteer opportunity suited to your particular skills, interests, and circumstances? See AmeriCorps.

American Job Centers

Are you looking for free education, employment, and training services to assist you with finding a job? See American Job Centers.

Child Welfare Information Gateway

Are you looking for Support Services for Youth in Transition: Youth With Disabilities?

This website provides resources that address the needs of transitioning youth with disabilities and offers strategies for developing appropriate support services for them, including State and local examples. For interactive links go to:

Continued Payment Under a Vocational Rehabilitation or Similar Program (Section 301)

Has your medical condition improved and are you participating in a vocational rehabilitation or similar program, or are you a student with an individualized education plan (IEP)? See Section 301.

Grants, Scholarship, Fellowships, and Gifts

Are you a student receiving a grant, scholarship, fellowship, or gift used for paying tuition, fees, or other necessary educational expenses at a college or vocational school?

Certain grants, scholarships, fellowships, and gifts are not counted as income and resources up to 9 months for SSI purposes. SSA does not count any portion used to pay for tuition, fees, and other necessary educational expenses at any educational institution including vocational and technical education. Read the policy at

Hands on Banking/ El futuro en tus manos® Hands on Banking/ El futuro en tus manos® is a program available in both English and Spanish that teaches people in all stages of life about the basics of responsible money management, including how to create a budget, save and invest, borrow responsibly, buy a home, and establish a small business. Visit

Health Insurance for Children

Are you looking for free or low-cost health insurance coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program?

Ask questions about children’s health insurance and how to apply, by calling
1-877-KIDS NOW (1-877-543-7669); or go to the Insure Kids Now website at

You can find a low cost, affordable Health Center using the search box at and information on how to enroll in health insurance through a Health Insurance Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596 or

Individual Development Accounts (IDA)

Do you work and have a goal to save for buying a home, going to school or starting a business? See IDA.

Individualized Education Plan

As a student with a disability in elementary or secondary education, do you have an Individualized Education Plan?

Learn about the Individualized Education Plan at

Employment Supports/
National and Community Resources

(Alphabetically Listed)

How These Resources Can Help You

Job Corps A free education and training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job. For eligible young people at least 16 years of age that quality as low income, provides all-around skills needed to succeed in a career and in life. To learn more about Job Corps and find a Job Corps program near you go to:

National Youth Leadership Network (NYLN)

To learn the latest information about the NYLN resources and tools and to discuss news, documentaries, issues, and topics central to preparing youth for transition to adult, go to

Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS)

Do you want to set aside money to pursue an employment goal, self-employment, or education? See PASS.

Section 504

As a student with a disability in elementary or secondary education, do you have a Section 504 plan?

Learn about the Section 504 plan at

SSI Eligibility for Students Temporarily Studying Abroad

Are you eligible for SSI benefits while outside the United States on an international academic program?

Learn about how certain individuals may be absent from the United States for up to one year and continue to receive SSI if they met certain conditions. For information about international exchange if you receive SSI benefits go to

State Health Programs and Services

Are you looking for a health program or service in your state?

Learn about programs assisting with health care costs, health assessments and treatments, and other services in your state by contacting the U.S.

Health Resources and Services Administration’s toll-free hotline.

1-800-311-2229 (Spanish: 1-800-504-7081)

State’s Parent Center

Are you looking for a Parent Center in your state?

Find a Parent Center at

State’s Vocational Rehabilitation Agency

Are you looking for a Vocational Rehabilitation Agency in your state?

Find a vocational rehabilitation agency at

Student Earned Income Exclusion (SEIE)

Are you under age 22, regularly attending school, and working? See SEIE.

Are you looking for programs and services focused on youth?

This federal website provides resources about programs and services focusing on youth. For interactive links go to


YouthBuild engages young people to rebuild their communities and their lives. Get information on YouthBuild at