Bernard Daniels is the Philadelphia Region's contact for over 600,000 employers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia on employer-wide W-2 reporting issues and posting problems. He would be happy to answer your questions on W-2 paper or electronic reporting or help resolve any wage posting or Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) reconciliation issue.
Other topics of interest include the Social Security Number (SSN) Verification Process (including the electronic verification system), the SSA Suspense File, and Common Reporting Errors.
If you have a question on employer wage reporting, Bernard can be reached via the following:
SSA is encouraging filers to submit their W-2 and W-2C reports electronically over the Internet. It's easy, fast and free. Small companies can simply key their reports online, while larger organizations can upload files in our Electronic Filing (EF) format. You can choose either option or a combination of both. All you have to do is register for one user ID and password, regardless of how many reports you send us.
- Allows for an additional 30 days to submit federal W-2 reports to SSA
- Ensures faster processing of files and posting of employees' wages to their earnings records and annual Social Security Statements
- Provides more time to make any necessary employee corrections beforehand, alleviating the need for subsequent W-2C corrections
- Enables employers to receive an immediate receipt for your file
- Eliminates paper and unnecessary handling (shipping and mailing labels, certified receipts, etc.)
- Enables employers to check the status of files, request extensions, access critical error information and acknowledge resubmittal letters
To download popular SSA publications and information for employers go to www.socialsecurity.gov/employer. There you will find a copy of SSA's format for reporting W-2s electronically, a copy of our Business Services Online (BSO) for details on electronic filing, and information on verifying social security numbers online.