What we do
Our employees work directly with the public to deliver Social Security benefits and services. We serve the public from a network of local offices, program service centers, and National 800 Number centers across the country and around the world. We administer our programs and services online, by phone, and in-person.
- Our local offices offer in-person services to our customers for all matters related to the programs administered by Social Security.
- Our program service centers handle the most complex benefit payment decisions, issue benefit payments after appeals decisions, determine and collect debt, correct records, and perform program integrity work.
- Our National 800 Number centers connect our customers with 24-hour automated services or directly with customer service representatives.
We rely on professionals in direct public service to support the public through every milestone of their lives.
Work in our program service centers making critical decisions to determine benefit amounts and update claims.
- Prepare, verify, and maintain our records for people receiving benefits.
- Work with the public by telephone or mail about their benefit and payment amounts.
- Carefully review information to determine benefits.
- Research Social Security policies and regulations to resolve issues.
Work in our local offices and program service centers speaking with people who already receive or are applying for Social Security benefits.
- Interview people applying for benefits.
- Review evidence and determine if someone is eligible for benefits.
Customer Service Representatives
Work in our local offices, program service centers, and National 800 Number centers to gather facts and evidence to determine if someone is eligible for benefits.
- Help the public by answering a wide variety of questions both in-person and by telephone.
- Conduct interviews, investigate situations, and resolve issues.
- Review information to determine ongoing eligibility for Social Security benefits.
- Analyze a claimant's benefit payment history.