Students & Recent Graduates

As a student or recent graduate, you can begin your career in the Federal government by choosing the path that best suits you in accomplishing your professional and educational goals.

Apply as a Student

Pathways Internship Program

This program is designed to provide students enrolled in a variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities to explore Federal careers. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service.

Who is eligible to apply?

To be eligible, you must be a current student in:

  • An accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges).
  • A professional, technical, vocational, and trade school.
  • An advanced degree program or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.

How can I apply?

  • View available internship opportunities at USAJOBS for Students and Recent Graduates. For current openings with Social Security, you must enter “Social Security Administration” or “SSA” in the keyword search.

Apply as a Recent Graduate

This program is for individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or certificate programs and seek a dynamic career development program with training and mentorship. Participants receive customized training and development opportunities throughout the program. Each participant receives mentorship, formal and interactive training, and individual development plans. Positions within this program offer opportunity for career advancement.

After completion of the program, recent graduates may be converted to a permanent position. Reference the Pathways Recent Graduate Program Fact Sheet for more information.

Who is eligible to apply?

  • Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
  • Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.

How can I apply?

Presidential Management Fellows Program

The United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is the official sponsoring agency for the Federal Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program. As the program sponsor, OPM is solely responsible for processing, screening, and selecting finalists for the PMF Program each year.

How can I apply?

  • OPM announces the opportunity to apply for the PMF Programs on the PMF website. The PMF Program is normally announced in the late summer or early fall.