Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Appeal a decision we made

If you don't agree with a decision we made, follow the process to request a change.

You have four opportunities to appeal our decision

You may not have to go through all the appeal levels. To start, ask us to reconsider a decision we made. Continue to move through the process if you disagree with the decisions.

Request reconsideration

Start by asking us to reconsider a decision we made.

Hearing with a judge

Request a hearing with an administrative law judge if you don't agree with our response to your request for reconsideration.

Review of hearing decision

Request a review with the Appeals Council if you don't agree with the decision made by the judge in your hearing.

File federal district court action

File a federal district court action with the U.S. District Court if you don't agree with the response from the Appeals Council.