If You Are Blind Or Visually Impaired — Your Choices For Receiving Information From Social Security
At times, Social Security needs to contact you with important information. There are different ways to receive information from us if you are blind or have a visual impairment and
- you have applied for or receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, or
- you are the representative payee for someone who has applied for or receives Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
You can choose to receive notices from us in one of the following ways. Just let us know which you prefer. Your choices for receiving notices are:
- Standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Standard print notice by certified mail;
- Standard print notice by first-class mail and a follow-up telephone call;
- Braille notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Microsoft Word file on a data compact disc (CD) and a standard print notice by first-class mail;
- Audio CD and a standard print notice by first-class mail; or
- Large print (18-point size) notice and a standard print notice by first-class mail.
To select or change the way you wish to receive information from Social Security, go to our secure Internet application:
If you already have requested notices in one of the seven formats, but need us to provide a particular Social Security document in your preferred format, please contact us.
If you would like to receive information from us in another way which is not mentioned here, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 and let us know how we should send you information. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778. We will consider your request and decide if we can provide it according to court-approved guidelines. If we decide against your request, we will send you the reasons in writing and tell you how to appeal if you disagree.
We also provide our discrimination complaint form in alternative formats. To request this form in an alternative format, call us at (410) 965-6414.