2020 SSI Annual Report
The Annual Report of the Supplemental Security Income Program, issued in May 2020, provides comprehensive information on the SSI program in accordance with the mandate in section 231 of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996. This report is available in PDF.
This report includes an Executive Summary as well as:
- A comprehensive description of the SSI program;
- 25 year projections of future recipients and program costs;
- A historical summary of statutory changes to the SSI program;
- Historical and current data relating to various aspects of the SSI program; and
- Summaries of any relevant research on the SSI program by SSA or others.
This report also includes a statement by Nancy J. Altman, member of the Social Security Advisory Board (SSAB), as allowed by the above legislation.
Print versions of the SSI Annual Reports are available for reports issued in 2019 and earlier, and may be requested by filling out our request form. The first SSI Report was published in 1997.
SSI Annual Report tables in chapter IV show every year beginning with 1980. In most tables, we also show 1975. As the SSI program began in 1974, data for years 1974 and 1976 through 1979 are not shown. We provide supplemental tables by single year for readers requiring more detail. Reference should always be made to the published report for context and explanation of terminology.
These supplemental tables are available in HTML format.