ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE FOR IMPOSING PENALTIES FOR FALSE OR MISLEADING STATEMENTS
(1) makes, or causes to be made, a statement or representation of a material fact, for use in determining any initial or continuing right to or the amount of monthly insurance benefits under title II or benefits or payments under title VIII or XVI, that the person knows or should know is false or misleading,
(2) makes such a statement or representation for such use with knowing disregard for the truth, or
(3) omits from a statement or representation for such use, or otherwise withholds disclosure of, a fact which the person knows or should know is material to the determination of any initial or continuing right to or the amount of monthly insurance benefits under title II or benefits or payments under title VIII or XVI, if the person knows, or should know, that the statement or representation with such omission is false or misleading or that the withholding of such disclosure is misleading,
shall be subject to, in addition to any other penalties that may be prescribed by law, a penalty described in subsection (b) to be imposed by the Commissioner of Social Security.
(b) Penalty.—The penalty described in this subsection is—
(1) nonpayment of benefits under title II that would otherwise be payable to the person; and
(2) ineligibility for cash benefits under title XVI,
for each month that begins during the applicable period described in subsection (c).
(c) Duration of Penalty.—The duration of the applicable period, with respect to a determination by the Commissioner under subsection (a) that a person has engaged in conduct described in subsection (a), shall be—
(1) six consecutive months, in the case of the first such determination with respect to the person;
(2) twelve consecutive months, in the case of the second such determination with respect to the person; and
(3) twenty-four consecutive months, in the case of the third or subsequent such determination with respect to the person.
(d) Effect on Other Assistance.—A person subject to a period of nonpayment of benefits under title II or ineligibility for title XVI benefits by reason of this section nevertheless shall be considered to be eligible for and receiving such benefits, to the extent that the person would be receiving or eligible for such benefits but for the imposition of the penalty, for purposes of—
(1) determination of the eligibility of the person for benefits under titles XVIII and XIX; and
(2) determination of the eligibility or amount of benefits payable under title II or XVI to another person.
(e) Definition.—In this section, the term “benefits under title VIII or XVI” includes State supplementary payments made by the Commissioner pursuant to an agreement under section 810A or 1616(a) of this Act or section 212(b) of Public Law 93-66, as the case may be.
(f) Consultations.—The Commissioner of Social Security shall consult with the Inspector General of the Social Security Administration regarding initiating actions under this section.
 See Vol. II, P.L. 93-406, §212(b).