LIMITATIONS ON USE OF GRANTS
Sec. 2005. [42 U.S.C. 1397d] (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), grants made under this subtitle may not be used by the State, or by any other person with which the State makes arrangements to carry out the purposes of this subtitle—
(1) for the purchase or improvement of land, or the purchase, construction, or permanent improvement (other than minor remodeling) of any building or other facility;
(2) for the provision of cash payments for costs of subsistence or for the provision of room and board (other than costs of subsistence during rehabilitation, room and board provided for a short term as an integral but subordinate part of a social service, or temporary emergency shelter provided as a protective service);
(3) for payment of the wages of any individual as a social service (other than payment of the wages of welfare recipients employed in the provision of child day care services);
(4) for the provision of medical care (other than family planning services, rehabilitation services, or initial detoxification of an alcoholic or drug dependent individual) unless it is an integral but subordinate part of a social service for which grants may be used under this subtitle;
(5) for social services (except services to an alcoholic or drug dependent individual or rehabilitation services) provided in and by employees of any hospital, skilled nursing facility, intermediate care facility, or prison, to any individual living in such institution;
(6) for the provision of any educational service which the State makes generally available to its residents without cost and without regard to their income;
(7) for any child day care services unless such services meet applicable standards of State and local law;
(8) for the provision of cash payments as a service (except as otherwise provided in this section);
(9) for payment for any item or service (other than an emergency item or service) furnished—
(A) by an individual or entity during the period when such individual or entity is excluded under this subtitle or title V, XVIII, or XIX pursuant to section 1128, 1128A, 1156, or 1842(j)(2), or
(B) at the medical direction or on the prescription of a physician during the period when the physician is excluded under this subtitle or title V, XVIII, or XIX pursuant to section 1128, 1128A, 1156, or 1842(j)(2) and when the person furnishing such item or service knew or had reason to know of the exclusion (after a reasonable time period after reasonable notice has been furnished to the person); or
(b) The Secretary may waive the limitation contained in subsection (a)(1) and (4) upon the State’s request for such a waiver if he finds that the request describes extraordinary circumstances to justify the waiver and that permitting the waiver will contribute to the State’s ability to carry out the purposes of this subtitle.
 P. L. 105-12; 111 Stat. 23.