SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.
People who have worked long enough may also be able to receive Social Security disability or retirement benefits as well as SSI. Learn more about SSI…
How Do I Apply For SSI?
If you would like to apply for SSI benefits for:
An adult with a disability
You can now file for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) online but only if you meet certain requirements. You are eligible to file online for SSI if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 65;
- Have never been married;
- Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands;
- Haven’t applied for or received SSI benefits in the past; and
- Are applying for Social Security Disability Insurance at the same time as your SSI claim. Find out if you are eligible to receive Social Security Disability Benefits.
Once you finish the online process, a Social Security representative will contact you for any additional information needed for the applications.
You can also schedule an appointment with a local Social Security office to file an application. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday or contact your local Social Security office.
Learn more and start the disability process at our Disability Benefits page.
A child with a disability
Social Security does not yet have an online application for Children’s benefits. Visit Apply For Disability Benefits – Child (Under Age 18) to apply for your child.
You can complete the online Child Disability Report if you are ready to apply now.
A person age 65 and older
- Call us at 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778, or
- Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)
Can I File An Appeal If My SSI Application Was Denied?
Yes, if we recently denied your SSI application, you can file an SSI appeal online. To learn more, read how to appeal a decision.
If You Already Receive SSI Benefits
Create a my Social Security account and sign in with us to:
- Get your benefit verification letter. (includes Social Security and Medicare) and
- Check your information, benefits and earnings record.